I finally got my hands on some sodium lactate! I've been wanting to try it in my HP soap forever, since everyone says it makes such a difference in their hot process soaps.
I added the sodium lactate (at a rate of 3% of my oil weight) to my lye water and didn't notice a difference at all through the beginning stages; the soap didn't trace any faster and the cook took the same amount of time. However, when I added the extra cream to my soap at the end of the cook, the soap frothed up, almost as if I had added baking soda to it, and became really fluid and I was actually able to pour the soap right from my bowl into the mold. I am sold, and will definitely be adding sodium lactate to my HP soaps from now on. Next time, I'll be brave and attempt layers or maybe a swirl!
I found the sodium lactate also made a big difference when it came to removing my soap from the mold. Usually I have to put the mold in the freezer for a bit before I attempt to remove the soap, but this time it just popped right out. I'm curious to see if the sodium lactate makes the HP bars harder and last longer.
Can't wait to try sodium lactate in CP!