If I was a Little Miss character, I would definitely be Little Miss Procrastination. I had 2 weeks to do this challenge, but guess who was up late last night making her challenge soap? Nothing like leaving things until the last minute!
I used my basic soap recipe for this one, which normally sets up really quickly. I knew I would have to work fast, but I was prepared for that.
What I wasn’t prepared for was how sllllooooow my recipe would move this time. I did make a couple of tiny adjustments, hoping it would give me more play time with my soap, but I can’t imagine these little things would make that much of a difference. I used a slightly lower water discount (about 20g more water in my 2lb recipe) and had my lye slightly warmer than usual, I also barely brought my soap to emulsion before splitting the batch. I didn't think those little adjustments would make such a huge difference, but I had to wait about 1 hour before I could work with the soap, and even then, the ‘spot’ colors were still too liquid, but my base soap was thickening up fast and I just went for it:
Not my best effort, but still a neat effect. And, I'm happy to have discovered that I can slow down my base recipe for the more complicated techniques.
I’m really looking forward to heading over and seeing how everyone else's soaps turned out, you can check out the rest of them here. Many thanks to Amy from Great Cakes Soapworks for hosting these fun challenges and encouraging us to step outside our comfort zones and grow as artists.
Have a great weekend everyone!